My make ahead version not authentic but, tasty and flavorful – my daughter even ate them cold the next day. This is my original vegan falafel recipe.
- 1/2 c cooked couscous
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 2 – 3 T red onion, minced
- 2 T parsley, minced
- 2/3 c sliced toasted almonds
- 1 can drained chickpeas
- 1/2 t crushed red pepper
- 1/2 t cayenne
- 5-6 T tahini
- salt & pepper
- Coarsely grind almonds in food processor, set aside
- But all ingredients except couscous and almonds in food processor, pulse to desired consistency
- Add couscous, almonds and pureed mixture to bowl, mix, taste, add more tahini if needed, add more seasoning if desired
- Shape mixture into small balls, store overnight in refrigerator or cook immediately.
- Fry falafel in small amount of olive oil for 2 – 3 minutes each side, drain if necessary.
- Serve with tahini sauce (tahini thinned with water for desired consistency mixed with minced parsley, lime, cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper) and whatever else suits your fancy, I served mine in flat bread instead of pita, softer and the family prefers it, with arugula, cucumbers and sliced red onion and a little sriracha for a kick