This was my first time using Ener G egg replacer, and success! Cinnamon rolls are a traditional holiday food must for us. My daughter and husband thought these were great, and as always, I love to hear, you can’t tell these are vegan!
I used a bread maker but,if you are so inclined, feel fee to make by hand:
- 1/2 cup warm water (I never check temperature, but if you do, you want it between 110 and 115 degrees), if your water is too cold the yeast won’t “proof” if it is too hot it will “kill” the yeast – finicky stuff)
- 1/2 c warm soy milk
- 1 t salt
- 2/3 c raw sugar
- egg replacer equal to 1 egg (1 t ER plus 2 T water)
- 4 T softened Earth Balance
- 4 c flour (you could use bread or 1/2 whole wheat pastry flour, I used all purpose, unbleached)
- 2 packets yeast (2 1/4 t yeast in each packet)
- Add all ingredients, in order above to bread machine.
- Set to dough cycle.
- After dough is complete, let remain in bread machine to rise for another hour.
- Remove from bread pan, roll dough into rectangle, spread another 4 T of softened Earth Balance on dough and sprinkle liberally with raw sugar and/or brown sugar, and cinnamon (I don’t measure this).
- Roll into a jelly roll shape and cut into 12 equal slices place into greased 9×13 pan or 2 greased pie plates.
- Cover with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator overnite, bring to room temperature, heat oven to lowest temperature,mine is 175 degrees and then turn oven off, put cinnamon rolls in oven and let rise for about an hour or until double in size. (Alternatively, instead of putting in fridge overnite, you could let rolls rise and bake immediately.)
- After rolls have risen take them out of oven, preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- While baking, make frosting, I used 4 T softened Earth Balance, about 1/2 cup of vegan “cream cheese”, 1 t vanilla, couple dashes of cinnamon and enough powdered sugar to get desired spreading consistency.
- Once rolls are done, let cool for about 5 minutes and spread with frosting. YUM!
- Give thanks . . . for vegan cinnamon rolls (epicureanvegan.com)
- Vegan Pumpkin Pecan Cinnamon Rolls, Ginger Cream Cheese Glaze (kblog.lunchboxbunch.com)