I hate resolutions, they are all so well intended and then fall flat a few weeks or month’s later. I do however, love the concept, or rather, the “act of volition”. It is only natural at the beginning of a new year, to look forward. So instead of exacting hard to live up to standards, I have set out my 2012 guide.
- Resolutely continue to peruse, review, and consume vegan information. There is so much great information out there. I want to continue to learn things, try new products, and be inspired by other’s recipes to continue to create delicious vegan food! (this is an easy one)
- Use the fancy-pants juicer my parent’s bought me for Christmas. I am really a water, once a week diet Pepsi, iced black tea, soy latte kinda girl. I am just not that in to juice, flavored water’s, energy drinks, etc. However, I see all the great benefits of juicing and am excited to jump on the bandwagon. I hope to use the juicer most mornings for a healthy start to the day.
- Break my Starbucks habit. This is the hardest one for me. I now know how to use the espresso maker that has been sitting on the counter collecting dust. I have bought the fancy flavorings, right kind of beans, new cups, so I should be ready to go. My latte’s still don’t taste exactly the same (and really, that’s what I am aiming for exact likeness) but, they are much improved from our first effort. Beyond the fact that Starbucks is an expensive every day habit, I don’t relish supporting a huge corporation and throwing away way too many plastic cups.
- Exercise twice a day 6 days a week. This shouldn’t be as daunting as it sounds. I did this regularly for almost a year but, around Thanksgiving this year, I fell off the exercise wagon. I will get up every morning (have I mentioned I am sooooo not a morning person – if my world could operate by me staying up until 1 am every night and sleeping until 9 am, that would be perfection) and do 30 minutes of exercise. This is totally doable, if I am awake I will tackle the treadmill, if not I will use the recumbent bike. I will also exercise in the evening, doing one of the Just Dance programs for the Wii and some days maybe even the tread or bike.
- Walk the dogs. I feel like a terrible pet owner. We are in Arizona, there are no excuses. The dog’s like it and it is good for all of us (daughter (Calista), me, and dogs). The golden retriever (Sunny) is excellent when we walk, keeps pace with you, doesn’t pull, like a dog is supposed to be. The border collie mix (Tatum), not so much. She is strong, hyper, and uber indpendent. She pulls and is so not a joy to walk with, I build arm strength in my right arm simply by holding on to the leash. With more frequency, hopefully this will improve.
- Stress-less – this like the Starbucks habit, will be hard. My job and work environment are stressful, no way to get around it. However, we have finally made the decision to move, we are moving to Bend, Oregon in June, wooo hooo!!! So I simply need to survive the next 5 1/2 months and then I will be able to focus on something new, so excited!
- Watch language. This is a big one too. I get irritated/angry a little too quickly sometimes and tend to verbalize in an inappropriate way. I will work on this, every day, it’s important.
Do you share any of my plans for 2012?