Simple, subtle flavored, quick sauce, can easily be made in advance. Roasted tomato sauce is the best.
- 11 roma tomatoes, cut in half
- large handful of cherry tomatoes (these were getting extra ripe on my counter so I roasted them too, you
- could use a couple extra roma’s instead of the cherry)
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 1 carrot, cut into chunks
- 1 whole head of garlic
- olive oil
- salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, dried Italian herbs of your choice
- soy creamer, ½ cup
- Turn oven to 400 degrees. Place roma’s, carrot, and onions on cookie sheet, toss with olive oil, place cut side of tomato down.
- Cut off top of head of garlic, drizzle with olive oil and wrap in foil.
- If using cherry tomatoes, put those in a separate pan as they will cook much quicker.
- Check cherry tomatoes after 15 minutes, they should be deflated and starting to wrinkle, take out of oven when roasted.
- Cook the rest of the veggies for another 10-15 minutes. If they are not starting to brown at this point, turn the broiler on high and broil for a few minutes. Watch closely, as they can burn quickly.
- Take veggies out of oven, unwrap garlic, and cool for 5 minutes.
- After cooling, place all ingredients in blender along with seasonings and soy creamer, blend to desired consistency, taste, adjust seasoning.
- Store for use later, or combine with cooked and drained pasta. I served mine with broccoli and herb beer bread (see recipe on site).
- Roasted Pepper & Tomato Bisque w/Quinoa Salsa #vegan (zestyvegan.com)
- Broccoli Cheese Soup #vegan (zestyvegan.com)