I love all kinds of bean burgers, black bean and chickpea or definitely my faves, I wanted to do something a little different than falafel – so I came up with this – Mike and Calista liked them. I would definitely use fresh pineapple next time! Try these vegan chickpea burgers and let me know what you think.
- 1/3 c chopped onion (red or yellow)
- 2 cloves peeled garlic
- 2 T chopped red pepper
- 1 jalapeno (with or without seeds)
- 2/3 c toasted walnuts (watch them closely, walnuts seem to burn especially quickly!)
- 1 can drained and rinsed chickpeas
- 2 T tahini (or hummus – whatever you have)
- 2 T dried cranberries
- 1 c cooked quinoa
- ¼ t tumeric
- salt, pepper, cumin, coriander – to taste
- olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 jalapenos, diced (with or without seeds)
- 1 T fresh ginger, minced
- 1 can drained pineapple chunks (again, I would use fresh if it is available), reserve juice
- ½ c pineapple juice
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 T raw sugar
- ½ c chopped cilantro
- Combine all burger ingredients except quinoa, olive oil, and cranberries in food processor, pulse to reach desired consistency, you want some texture, you’re not making hummus!
- Scrape ingredients into bowl, add quinoa and cranberries, taste, add additional seasoning if desired.
- Form into patties, refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- When ready, brown burgers in a little olive oil for 3-5 minutes per side.
- To make chutney, bring all chutney ingredients except cilantro to a boil over medium heat, turn heat o low and cook for 10 minutes, take pan off of heat, add cilantro, cool for 10 – 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve chickpea burgers topped with chutney.