I made these for Calista, in our pre-vegan days she used to like the fruit tarts from a local Arizona grocery chain.
- 2 c almond flour (purchase or grind your own)
- ½ c regular all purpose flour
- 1 t salt
- 1 c cold Earth Balance, cubed
- 1/3 to 1/2 c cold water
- For crust, combine, dry ingredients, cut in EB until mixture resembles course crumbs, add water gradually, mix with your hands until well incorporated, turn out on to cutting board dusted with flour and knead for a few minutes, wrap in plastic wrap and put in freezer (I separated into 2 discs and only used one for the tarts), freeze for about 45 minutes.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees, separate dough into 5 small balls and press dough into small tart pans, alternatively, you could use one large tart pan.
- Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, watching closely so they don’t burn.
- Once crusts have cooked and cooled, you can fill immediately or refrigerate until ready to fill and serve.
- I always think creamy fillings can make pie crust a little soggy, so I filled mine right before serving.
- To make filling, soften cream cheese in the microwave for 20 seconds, or leave out at room temperature for 40 minutes or so.
- Mix cream cheese with vanilla and powdered sugar, slowly add a few tablespoons of almond milk for desired creamy consistency.
- For fruit, I rinsed and macerated with a little raw sugar overnight, this is not necessary, just makes fruit softer and sweeter!
Trackbacks and Pingbacks: