Free-form apple pie, simple, rustic, delicious!
- Pie crust (use your favorite, I used ½ of the almond crust from my fruit tart recipe on the site)
- 3 c peeled and diced Granny Smith apples
- 1/3 c + 2T raw sugar
- 2 T flour
- 2 T cinnamon
- 3 T raw sugar
- 1 t cinnamon
- 2 T flour
- 2 T sliced almonds, crushed
- 1 ½ T Earth balance cut in small cubes
- Bring pie crust to room temperature, if it has been frozen or refrigerated.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Put pie crust on greased cookie sheet. Mix filling ingredients in medium sized bowl.
- Place filling in the center of pie crust, do not fill to the edge of the crust, you want to leave about 1 inch of crust so you can fold it over the filling.
- This doesn’t need to be perfect, remember rustic. It is fine to pile your filling in a mound as the filling will cook down.
- To make topping; mix sugar, cinnamon, flour and almonds in bowl, add in EB, crumble mixture with your fingers.
- Put topping on top of apples.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes until golden brown and apples are tender when you test with a knife.
- Check crostata after 20 minutes, cover loosely with foil if top is getting to brown.
- Serve warm with your favorite non-dairy ice cream.
- Fruit Tarts (zestyvegan.com)
- Vegan Pumpkin Pie, Three Ways: Classic, Rustic, & Gluten-Free (ohsheglows.com)