Who doesn’t love mac & cheese? This is a grown-up, spicy mac & cheese with tons of flavor. Alas, it does not taste like traditional mac & cheese. However, it is rich, spicy, and creamy. What’s not to love? I could eat and eat this vegan mac & cheese.
- 1 lb pasta
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 c raw cashews, soaked for at least 8 hours in water and drained
- ½ c water
- 1 ½ c plain almond milk (use your fave non-dairy milk)
- 1 ½ c nutritional yeast
- juice of one lemon
- 1 t salt (or more)
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t onion powder
- 1 ½ t dry mustard
- 2 t smoked paprika
- ½ t crushed red pepper
- ½ t cayenne pepper
- 2 T tahini
- 3 T mellow white miso
- lots of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 t Earth Balance
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, blend all remaining ingredients in blender until smooth, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- When the pasta is done cooking, drain and reserve about ½ cup of the cooking water.
- Add Earth Balance to the pan, then pour the sauce onto the pasta, add a little of the cooking water if you want a thinner sauce, cook for a a few minutes until sauce coats pasta.
- Serve in bowls topped with freshly ground pepper. This would also be great with some steamed broccoli florets. I was however going for simplicity.
- Sunflower Mac (theppk.com)