In my quest to feed the whole family vegan, pets included, I have been experimenting with vegan dog “treats”. Sunny and Tatum seem to really like these. The dogs sure seemed to like these dog cookies.
- 8 carrots, cut into large chunks
- olive oil
- 1 c rolled oats
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- ¾ c apple sauce, unsweetened
- 2 T chopped fresh parsley
- 2 T natural peanut butter
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees, toss carrots with a little olive oil and roast until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Process cooled carrots in food processor until mushy, a few small chunks are okay, you could also mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Put mashed carrots in bowl, add the rest of ingredients and mix to combine. If your dough is a little dry, add more apple sauce, if it is a little wet, add a little more oats or flour.
- Roll dough into small balls and place on cookie sheet.
- Flatten balls a little with the palm of your hand. Bake at 325 for about 15 minutes or until they begin to brown. Watch carefully, no one, dogs included, want burnt cookies.
- I am storing mine in the refrigerator and anticipate they will last a little over a week!
- Vegan Dog Cookies (zestyvegan.com)