Calista, my 13 year old daughter, made these for my birthday, so sweet, she knows I love anything lemon, and she searched online to find a vegan friendly recipe. She is the best, and the scones were delicious! I think you will enjoy these Vegan Scones – Lemon Poppy Seed scones!
Adapted from allrecipes.com
- 2 c unbleached all purpose flour
- ¾ c + 2 T raw sugar
- 4 t baking powder
- ½ t salt
- ¾ c chilled Earth Balance
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 ½ T poppy seeds
- ½ c vanilla soy milk
- ½ c water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a cookie sheet.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Cut in Earth Balance until the mixture is in small granules (use your hands or a pastry blender).
- Stir in the seeds, zest, and juice.
- Combine the soy milk and water and gradually stir into dry ingredients until mixture is moistened, like a thick biscuit dough (note, you may not need all of liquid).
- Spoon batter onto cookie sheets (about a ¼ cup per scone).
- Leave some space between scones because they spread.
- Bake for about 10 -12 minutes until golden brown.
- Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Cake (urbanveganchic.com)