I made these for Calista’s bake sale at school – quick, easy, and what’s better than coffee and chocolate! This vegan chocolate cupcake is wonderful.
- 3 c unbleached, all purpose flour
- 2 c raw sugar
- 2 t salt
- 2 t baking soda
- ½ c cocoa powder
- ¾ c vegetable oil
- 2 t vanilla
- 2 T white vinegar
- 1 c cold coffee
- 1 c cold water
- 4 c powdered sugar
- ½ c vegetable shortening
- ½ c cold coffee
- a little soy or almond milk
- vegan chocolate covered espresso beans (if you want)
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Add in wet ingredients, mix until well blended.
- Pour batter into paper lined cupcake pans. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 – 18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean.
- While cupcakes are cooking and cooling, prepare frosting. Put shortening in medium bowl add about ½ of powdered sugar, mix, add more powdered sugar and coffee.
- Mix until desired consistency, if you need more liquid, add a few tablespoons of non-dairy milk. If frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar.
- Frost cooled cupcakes with frosting and top with vegan chocolate espresso beans.