This is awesome, creamy, garlicky, and loaded with flavor (shhh no one will know it’s vegan). You will love this vegan caesar salad.
Inspired by theppk.com
- ½ c blanched, slivered almonds
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 pkg Mori-Nu silken tofu, drained
- 1/3 c olive oil
- 1 – ½ T capers
- 1 – 2 T caper brine
- juice of 1 lemon (if your lemon is really juicy you may only need to use ½)
- 1 t raw sugar
- 1 t dry mustard powder
- ½ t crushed red pepper
- salt and lots of freshly ground pepper
- ¼ c olive oil
- 2 T melted Earth Balance
- 1 head of roasted garlic
- juice of ½ lemon
- ½ of a large round of sourdough or one baguette, cut into cubes
Your favorite lettuce
- baby spinach
- Pulse the almonds in food processor or Vita Mix (I used the Vita Mix and it worked fabulously) until they are course crumbs.
- Place the almonds in a small bowl.
- Next combine the garlic, tofu, and olive oil until creamy.
- Add rest of ingredients (start with ½ lemon) and blend until combined, taste and add additional lemon juice and seasonings.
- Place dressing in bowl with almonds and mix with a fork.
- Store in refrigerator for at least an hour to let flavors meld. If dressing is too thick, thin with a little soy milk.
- Place roasted garlic in large bowl, mash with a fork.
- Whisk in oil, Earth Balance, and juice, toss with bread cubes.
- Place bread on a cookie sheet and roast at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes.
- Turn the croutons over after about 7 minutes so they can brown evenly.
- Place lettuce and spinach in a large bowl, toss with some dressing (you will have extra dressing).
- Add croutons and lots of freshly ground pepper. Mike and Calista had Trader Joe’s frozen chickenless strips on top of theirs.
- I had tomato and avocado (not traditional, but, very good).