This was one of Calista’s favorite’s before we went vegan. I have veganized and it received her seal of approval. This is also a great make-ahead meal when you know you are going to be short on time. If you are looking for a vegan Mexican casserole give this a try and let me know what you think.
- 1 large shallot (or 2 small)
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 red pepper
- canola oil
- 25 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 c minced cilantro
- ½ c sliced olives
- 2 c cooked and cooled rice (or quinoa)
- 1 t crushed red pepper
- 2 t cumin
- salt & pepper
- 1 large jar salsa
- 1 pkg Daiya cheddar
- 8-10 tortillas cut into 1 inch pieces
- Saute shallot, jalapeno and red pepper in canola oil over medium heat to soften.
- Take off of heat and add in beans, cilantro, olives, rice, seasonings, and salsa.
- Taste, add additional seasonings if needed.
- Put a little bean mixture in bottom of 13×9 pan (just to cover the bottom). Sprinkle half of tortillas on top of bean mixture, place half of remaining bean mixture over tortillas, sprinkle with half of Daiya, and repeat layers, ending with Daiya.
- Either store in refrigerator overnight, or cook immediately.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 30 – 40 minutes until warmed through and Daiya is melted.
- Serve topped with guacamole or vegan sour cream.