Tomato Bread Salad – one of my favorite things to eat before I became vegan was caprese salad, this salad has the same flavor profile without the cheese, and honestly, I didn’t miss it.
- 1 ½ cubes good cubed bread (I used ciabatta)
- 3 ripe roma tomatoes, chopped (I leave out the seeds)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced (mine was a huge clove and very garlicky, use less if you don’t want to ward off all human contact)
- 2 T minced red onion (shallot would be good too)
- 6-7 fresh basil leaves, rolled in chiffonade and chopped (stack your basil leaves on top of each other roll up and chop finely)
- salt, crushed red pepper (a liberal sprinkling)
- lots of freshly ground pepper
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 T olive oil
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix gently to combine.
- Taste and add more vinegar, oil or spices if needed.
- Eat immediately, leftovers don’t hold up.
- Next time I am going to add kalamata olives and artichoke hearts, mmmmm.