Coconut Lentil Soup – delicious soup with strong flavors, topped with a cilantro almond couscous
Coconut Lentil Soup
Recipe type: soup
Delicious coconut curry lentil soup bursting with flavor topped with fresh couscous salsa, this recipe is a must make.
- 2 T coconut oil
- ¼ c olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 t fresh ginger, minced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 5 small red potatoes, rinsed and cubed
- 2 t cumin
- ½ t ground coriander seed
- 1 t crushed red pepper
- 3 t curry powder
- 1 t tumeric
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ½ c red lentils
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 c water
- 1 can coconut milk (I used light)
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt & pepper
- 1 c cooked and cooled couscous
- ¼ c cilantro, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 t fresh ginger, minced
- zest of 1 lime
- ⅓ c toasted sliced almonds
- 5 dried apricots, minced
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 t curry powder
- 1 t cumin
- salt & pepper
- ½ – 1 jalapeno, with or without seeds
- In large pot, saute onion in olive and coconut oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes, add red pepper, celery, garlic, poblano, and red potatoes, cook for another 5 minutes until vegetables (except for potatoes) start to get soft.
- Add in cumin, coriander, red pepper, curry, and tumeric, cook until spices become fragrant (about 3 minutes).
- Add in lentils, vegetable broth and bay leaves.
- Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to a very low boil and cook until lentils have softened. Add water if mixture is becoming too thick.
- Once lentils and potatoes are soft, take pot off of burner, remove bay leaves, add coconut milk, lime juice, salt and pepper, and some Sriracha (this stuff is hot so add as little or as much as you want). Puree soup in batches in a blender (be careful soup is VERY hot).
- Alternatively, you could use an immersion blender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- For couscous, combine all ingredients in a small bowl, combine gently and serve a large scoop of couscous in the center of each serving.