Vegan Mac N Cheese – Gluten Free, Soy Free, Spicy and Creamy, yum!
Vegan Mac N Cheese
Recipe type: main dish
Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, tasty, creamy Mac N Cheese, who knew?!!
Inspired by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
- 8 oz gluten free pasta (I used quinoa rotini)
- 1 ½ c unroasted sunflower seeds (soaked in water for at least 2 hours)
- olive oil
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2 shallots, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
- 3 c vegetable broth
- 2 T cornstarch
- ½ c nutrional yeast
- 3 T tomato paste
- 2 t ground mustard
- 2 t cayenne
- 2 t cumin
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 T lime juice
- salt & pepper
- Drain sunflower seeds.
- In sauce pan, saute shallots and jalapeno in olive oil for about 7 minutes until they are softened.
- Add garlic to pan and saute for another minute.
- Boil a pot of salted water for your pasta.
- Remove vegetables from heat.
- Add vegetables to blender (or food processor).
- Add broth, corn starch nutritional yeast, tomato paste, sunflower seeds and seasoning.
- Blend until very smooth.
- This could take a few minutes.
- Taste, and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Put pasta in boiling water.
- Put sauce back in saucepan, cook on medium until sauce thickens (about 15 minutes).
- Take off of heat, add lime juice, salt & pepper.
- When pasta has cooked, drain, put back in pot, and pour sauce over pasta (note, you will have extra sauce, save this and make more pasta tomorrow or you can top some cooked broccoli or cauliflower with the sauce).
- To make topping, I took a piece of gluten free bread and tossed it with a little olive oil, cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt and broiled it in the oven for a few minutes.