Best Veggie Burger – this turned out fabulously, I confess I have never used tofu in a veggie burger before, but you couldn’t taste it and along with the hemp and sunflower seeds this is loaded with protein. Add this to your summer repertoire.
Best Veggie Burger
Recipe type: Main Dish
Mushroom, Hemp, Oat Veggie Burger! Delicious, healthy, full of protein veggie burger.
- ½ c raw sunflower seeds, toasted and cooled
- 8 cremini mushrooms, chopped and sauteed in a little olive oil and cooled
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and cut in fourths
- ½ cube extra firm tofu, drained and patted dry
- 1 t cumin
- 1 t crushed red pepper
- 2 t grill seasoning
- salt & pepper
- ¼ c hemp seeds
- ¼ c chopped parsley
- 1 ½ – 2 c old fashioned oats
- barbeque sauce
- Combine all ingredients except for oats in food processor, process to combine.
- Add half of oats and process to combine.
- Add more oats to reach desired consistency.
- You want the mixture to hold together when forming into a ball.
- When mixture is at desired consistency, roll into balls and then flatten into patties.
- Refrigerate until ready to cook (this might not be necessary but, I always refrigerate my veggie burgers to firm up before cooking).
- Barbeque, bake or fry in a little oil topped with barbeque sauce.
- We barbequed these on a little rack. I am always afraid they will fall through the grates otherwise.
- Served with Veganaise, dijon, tomatoes, spinach, avocado, and red onion.
- Also made oven fries (combine 4 or 5 large red potatoes with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper in a ziploc bag).
- Heat oven to 375 degrees, put cookie sheet in oven while oven is preheating (this is important and the trick to not having your fries stick to the pan).
- Once the oven is heated up, pour the fries on the prepared pan, be careful, it’s hot!
- Roast for about 20 minutes, and flip fries over, cook until desired doneness.
- If the are not brown enough, turn the oven to broil for a few minutes to brown but, watch carefully so they don’t burn.