Creamy Wild Rice Soup – Yum! Hearty, healthy, filling, and delicious. This would be perfect on a chilly night (I realize it’s summer, but the house is cool and Calista was craving wild rice soup!)
Creamy Wild Rice Soup
Recipe type: Soup
Delicious, healthy, filling vegan wild rice soup!
- 4 T Earth Balance
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ c flour
- 5 c vegetable broth
- 3 c cooked wild rice
- 2 c cooked white rice (you could use brown)
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 c mushrooms, chopped
- olive oil
- ⅓ c toasted sliced almonds
- 2 t crushed red pepper
- 2 t garlic powder
- 2 t Italian seasoning
- 2 green onions, minced
- ⅓ c fresh parsley, minced
- salt & pepper
- Melt EB in large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, saute for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, incorporating flour with vegetables.
- Add broth and whisk to thoroughly combine, bring to a low boil, whisking often, if soup starts to stick, turn down burner.
- While broth is coming to a boil, saute mushrooms and celery in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Once base of soup has thickened, add seasoning, mushrooms, celery, almonds, rice, and 1 green onion.
- Let soup cook until are ingredients are heated through, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve topped with parsley and green onion.
- I served mine with Vegan Beer Bread http://www.zestyvegan.com/2011/09/10/beer-bread-2/
A creamy wild rice soup certainly can hit the spot on those days you want to throw a soup together.