OMG! Deliciously Decadent Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars – these are the bomb, incredibly rich and delish, if you love chocolate and peanut butter, make these! Calista actually made these with my mother-in-law for Mike’s bday – he is a peanut butter and chocolate addict and loved them! High praise indeed.
Adapted from WikiHow “How to Make Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars“
Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars
Recipe type: dessert
Decadent vegan peanut butter Twix bars, yum!
Bottom Chocolate Layer
- 1 1/12 c dark chocolate chips
- 2 T canola oil
- 1 T agave
- dash of salt
Peanut Butter Layer
- ½ c creamy, natural peanut butter
- 1 T vegan butter
- 1 T brown sugar
- 1 t maple syrup
- ½ t vanilla extract
- about 20 Lorna Doone shortbread cookies (yep, their vegan!)
Top Chocolate Layer
- ½ c dark chocolate chips
- ⅓ c peanuts, finely chopped
- For bottom layer, melt all ingredients in a small saucepan and melt over low to medium heat until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Make sure the burner isn’t too hot or your chocolate will become “chalky” instead of smooth.
- Place ¾ of chocolate mixture in the bottom of a loaf pan lined with wax paper, you want enough wax paper that you can pull the mixture out of the loaf pan once everything has chilled.
- For peanut butter layer, melt all ingredients (except vanilla) in a small saucepan over low to medium heat, once melted, stir in the vanilla.
- Put cookies on top of chocolate mixture in pan, it’s okay if you need to break some of the cookies up to completely cover the chocolate layer.
- After the cookie layer, pour the peanut butter mixture onto the cookies.
- Spread the rest of the chocolate mixture onto the peanut butter mixture.
- Process the peanuts and chocolate chips until finely chopped and sprinkle on top of chocolate.
- Put the bars in the refrigerator overnight to chill completely (you could also do a quick chill by freezing for an hour).
- When you are ready to serve, remove the pan from the refrigerator, pull the bars out of the pan by using the wax paper and cut into bars.
- Note these are really rich, so smaller bars may be ideal! Store bars in refrigerator.