Butternut Squash Bisque – Easy, delicious, creamy vegan bisque!
Butternut Squash Bisque
Recipe type: Soup
Full of creamy goodness, this bisque is delicious and no one will miss the cream!
- olive oil
- 1 yam
- 1 butternut squash
- 3 shallots
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced (with or without seeds)
- 1 green apple, roughly chopped
- ¼ inch chunk of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 4 c vegetable broth
- 1 t smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
- ¼ c toasted pumpkin seeds (roast raw pumpkin seeds at 300 degrees for about 15 min)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees, rinse yam and cut in half lengthwise.
- Put a little olive oil on cookie sheet, place yam cut side down onto cookie sheet.
- Cut ends off of squash, cut in half lengthwise, use a spoon to remove seeds.
- Place squash cut side down onto cookie sheet.
- Bake yams and squash for about 40 minutes, check and if yam is tender, remove from oven.
- Cook up to another 20 minutes for squash to become tender.
- Set aside until it is cool enough to handle.
- Saute shallots, garlic, and jalapeno in a little olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat for about 5 minutes until tender. Add apple and ginger saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add squash and yam to soup pot, add broth, bring to a boil and then turn down heat to low and cook until apple is tender.
- Add spices.
- Puree soup in batches in high-powered blender.
- Blend hot liquids VERY CAREFULLY, don’t overfill blender.
- Serve topped with toasted pumpkin seeds.